Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's all about the warm up


Most people, like myself, like to jump right into whatever physical activity they are about to do without giving second thought to warming up. Doing this, however, can come with consequences. 

The reason for a warm up has to do with the changes that take place within the body when performing physical activity. Your respiratory rate, blood flow, oxygen, and nutrient levels that are being delivered to cells increase. The rate in which these levels increase should be gradual and at a steady pace. This will allow the body to withstand strenuous activity. It also gives the heart time to adjust and pump the right amount of blood and nutrients to the muscles. Warming up also makes you less prone to injuries. In addition, warming up stimulated the joints and allows them to become loose so there is less wear and tear of the muscles.

To watch a video of a complete warm up routine by a professional go to the site below: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e1tccX42dw&feature=PlayList&p=D0E0D6EA6E1FF9D5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6


6 comments:

  1. This is good to know because usually i dont warm up before I do my excersise. Sometimes i get hurt or my muscles are like not streching well, so its a good advice and thanks for the resource. Excelent post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love warm up! Heating up, less injury. That's my jam. You rock JILL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warm up is essential!! On that note i would also like to add that the cool down is just as important!!! I can't stand it when i have members leaving my class early without a cool down and stretch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. When I wrestled, my coach would always be telling me to hurry up the stretching. But my problem comes post workout when I am so pumped up I can't sit still to stretch or forget to. Pre-workout is where its at!

    ReplyDelete
  5. warming up is key. when i dont warm up before a game i always cramp up or get tired quick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like an old man sometimes, me and my friends play some pick up basketball and I always stretch before I play and the joke around about it. But the important thing is they always seem to be the ones getting hurt while we play. Warming up is the key.

    ReplyDelete